Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Life Long Learning

Originally written
Wednesday, 1. March 2006, 13:51:44

Some already know that we have decided to take the children out of public school for the fall and some already know that we are also moving back ‘home’ this summer. I am so excited for both! I am looking forward to starting home based learning again that I am already planning and scheming (here is where I am rubbing my hands together and smiling).

The children are very anxious to start home base learning. They wanted to start a while back but we are going to finishing out the year at public school. I am glad they came to this on their own and I am relieved at how anxious they are to get going.

A few words come to mind when I think of our families hbl style.
Exploration. Creativity.
Classic. Family. Faith.

The other day I read the email of a very enlightened woman who talked about how she can really only give to her children what is ‘hers‘. It has resounded within me for the past few days. There are things I am aware of that I am good at, talents I have been developing my whole life and some I have just started to develop. These are the things that are 'mine' that I can give to my children.

This year I am focusing on giving my children what is mine. I am committed to becoming a scholar in these areas. I am also committed to teaching my children scripture stories and our family history starting with Great Grandparents(who they were and what they did). I am committed to exploration this year. I am committed to having early morning walks. I am committed to teaching them how to manage a home. I am committed to exposing my children to as many things as I can. I am committed to inspiring a love of learning (not forcing or pushing anything).

I want my children to understand that learning is a life long commitment and that it is their responsibility to educate themselves.

And of course I am blogging our journey as a family. I am documenting it for many reasons; so that family and friends understand what we are doing, it’s a part of our family history, it’s a resource for others who might be interested, it’s a place my facilitator can go to see what we are doing and it is a creative outlet for the whole family.

No comments: