Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Inspire not Require

Inspire not require is one of the most difficult principles to apply in leadership education. I have been struggling with it for a long time but I think I made a break through last night!

I went to a discussion with some liber-mom's in our community to discuss what core phase and love of learning looks like in our homes. Many of us are having conveyor belt education hangovers (well, I know I am). This sharing between friends inspired some deep thinking on the matter. I know my biggest obstacle is this Inspire business. My mind began to focus on how Sunday School works. I recalled the many times I have taught toddlers, young children, youth and adults at church. I began to recall how I have been taught in Sunday school and Eureka! I realized the key to Inspire not Require!

How does a Sunday School class work? We are invited to come and listen. We invite others to - come and listen. Simple. No tests. No written reports. No demands. No expectations. The teacher provides information and invites the student to hear it.

If I had a class that seemed uninterested I wouldn't get mad. I never forced anyone to accept the Sunday lessosns. If I had a problem, I simply asked myself the question, "What does this group need?" or "What does this child need?" and then I would prayerfully try to find the answer. If I was losing a classes interest I wouldn't give them detention or homework. I never would scold. I would try to find a way to reach them. I would engage them in discussion. I would ask them to help me in someway, whether holding a picture or writing on the board for me. I never demanded it of them they could decline if they wanted.

If I needed my class to be more reverent - I became more reverent. If I needed them to understand their scriptures better I began to study them more diligently myself. If I needed more kindness in the class I was more kind to the students and to others. I endeavored to be always an example to follow.

I tried dilligently to speak from my heart, inviting them to learn the words of God. I invited discussion - a sharing of personal experiences and ideas. Nothing submitted was ever wrong or out of context - never a pass or fail - I tried to fit what was said by a student into what we were learning. Everything could apply. If a child was unsure I would simply give him the answer or ask someone else to help out. There was no pressure to learn.

There was always routine in class. We did things a certain way - the lessons were pre-planned but I was always flexible depending on where the class was in their lives. I didn't worry about making every planned point or even finishing the lesson if the discussion took us down a different avenue and it was a good avenue to go down. I used the spirit to guide the class.

If a child was unruly I only reminded him of the rules. I never yelled or scolded. Sometimes I would take the child to a parent if the child was crying for them or if the child was being too disruptive. It wasn't a punishment. It was just a way of saying ' When you don't disrupt our group you can return.' The child was always invited back whether it was the next moment or the next Sunday.

This is Inspire not Require! This is the type of model I am trying to use in my home. It just feels right to me.

No comments: