Sunday, October 28, 2007

Wishing and hoping and thinking and praying...

There is a song that I hum in my head whenever I stare longingly at this tantalizing picture of Canon-sweetness. "Wishing and hoping and thinking and praying, planning and dreaming each night of his charms that won't get you into his arms..."



I have kept journals since I could write. Later in life I began scrapbooking as a creative source of journal keeping. Since I can remember, I've felt a desire to document my life and my thoughts. Perhaps my life might be of some use to my posterity one day. I write for me and I write for them. I have always thought that journals, personal histories and family albums are precious heirlooms.

I was able to read some of my own Grandmother's journals. When my children were very young, my mother wanted me to compile them (not the children - my Grandmother's journals) into a book. I have yet to return to that project and complete it but complete it I will.

I didn't have a chance to know my Grandmother. As I read her words I felt that I was getting that opportunity. What a great gift I was given. I felt lifted by her strength of character. There is something very powerful about linking yourself to past generations. It can be therapeutic to the soul. Because she lived I live. Parts of her have been passed down to me. I am connected to her. What she has to say is for my good on a very personal level. That reverences and inspires me.

When Hurricane Katrina hit and I heard account after account of all those precious family heirlooms destroyed - lost, I began to think about my own. How could I safeguard my 'life's work'? How could I preserve parts of myself for future generations?

At first I began scanning my journals and saving them on disks. I packed my precious scribblers in large Rubbermaid containers. I know I can't perfectly cover my bases. Anything can happen but I feel that I must do all I can to preserve my writing.

What has this all got to do with a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi?

Well, it all started with SouleMama. She is the reason I keep an online journal. It is through her that I saw the value of mixing pictures with text. A new world of journaling opened to me. Not only can I write to future generations but I can share these records with extended family and friends!

I've been using my little 735 hp photosmart digital camera and she has been a good little friend but she can't do all the things that a Rebel can. It's time to hand her over to the children and upgrade!

Not only that, I have joined with two other women (Peggy Hillyer and Karina Witbeck) in creating Lift. We each will be blogging for the website and I want to be able to take some great pictures to mingle with our website, blogs, essays and books - but that is a whole other entry. I'll save that for later.

No comments: