Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Divine Nature



I spent my childhood in this grove of trees, building castles in their branches. I spent my childhood pulling off these floral bells (Lungwort for those interested in pretty treasures) and sucking on the sweet nectar inside.


A few weeks ago I was able to visit the homestead and take my children to the places I reverence most of all. I gave Tansy the camera and let her explore. She brought me back these sacred images.

Nature was a big part of my growing up. I spent most of my free time in the woodland which surrounded my home. These little spots are the places I dreamed and schemed - prayed and played. I would hunt for wild strawberry and raspberry. I fell in love with the lungwort, (although to me they were 'sweet bell') meadow rue, yarrow and golden rod.


I recall the first time the cool shade of Poplar and Pine lured me away from the yard. I was young, perhaps 9 or 10 and I thought the woods which cradled our small acreage were a vast forest of mystery (in actuality it was maybe 5 acres). Concerned I'd become lost, I didn't venture too far under the canopy - always sure I could see the house. However, with each visit I was tempted farther and further in until I thought nothing of home and everything of rich moss, shy mushroom and patches of light streaming through thick green branches. No child should live without exploring this magical realm. I do not often recall feeling as true to joy than during those explorations.

My parents are selling the acreage and moving closer to us. I am excited for the chance to have them near but I cringe at the thought of not being able to visit this brush I know and love so well. I cringe doubly so at the thought of not being able to share with my children this particular part of nature year after year.

But I was able to show them a little - and I hope that was enough to awaken a love for the 'wild'. I hope that they sensed within themselves something akin to the beauties around them - that they too have natures divine.


1 comment:

arlene said...

Oh Stacey, I know how you feel! Each summer I visit a place that was so precious to me as a child, (and to my parents before me) and I am so blessed in that it has not changed at all! My children have been abole to experience it with me and my parents on a camping trip each summer...enjoying the Blue Herons, the Osprey diving into the lake where we sit in the boat, the Loons and coyotes calling at night.
This year we went without my Dad for the first time, and it was a healing trip, not as difficult as I had supposed it would be. It is a magical place!